Monthly Archives: September 2019

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Blues rule out Murphy for Geelong AFL game

Carlton skipper Marc Murphy will be sidelined for the second time suffering another foot injury.Carlton have ruled out skipper Marc Murphy for Saturday’s AFL clash with Geelong, and the Blues skipper could face several weeks on the sidelines as a result of his latest foot injury.
老域名出售

Murphy missed five games with a plantar fasciitis injury and disrupted scar tissue in the same foot in his return to action last weekend.

The 30-year-old was on crutches at Princes Park on Thursday and will have scans on Friday, admitting the issue could be more serious than initially thought.

“At the moment I’m not really too sure what’s going on with it,” he told the Seven Network.

“It could be scar tissue, it could be a re-rupture, so not too sure yet.”

In better news for bottom-placed Carlton, brothers Charlie and Ed Curnow will return for Saturday’s game at Kardinia Park along with swingman Jacob Weitering and David Cuningham.

Jarrod Garlett is among three omissions for the Blues, who copped a 109-point drubbing from Melbourne last weekend.

Geelong have also swung the axe following their 34-point loss to Essendon.

Ruckman Rhys Stanley returns with Zac Smith one of four players omitted.

Struggling St Kilda will welcome back Jake Carlisle and Paddy McCartin for Saturday’s clash with Richmond at the MCG.

The reigning premiers have dropped Sam Lloyd and Jacob Townsend while Jason Castagna has been rested with general soreness.

Both Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs have named key inclusions for Friday night’s clash at Etihad Stadium.

Ben Reid, Josh Daicos and Levi Greenwood return for the Pies while star recruit Josh Schache will make his Bulldogs debut.

Brisbane will line up unchanged against Sydney while a freak injury means the Swans will be without Callum Mills for the rest of the season.

The Swans say Mills was throwing an American football with teammates on the way back from a cafe on Thursday when he tripped and fell, breaking his foot.

Big guns Josh Kelly and Jonathon Patton are back for Greater Western Sydney’s game against Essendon, who will welcome back young star Andrew McGrath.

Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara and Fremantle’s Stephen Hill are among the inclusions for Sunday’s games.

O’Meara returns along with James Frawley to face ladder-leaders West Coast, who have been bolstered by prime mover Elliot Yeo being declared fit to play.

Hill is set to face North Melbourne, minus rested big man Majak Daw, at Optus Stadium.

Melbourne have named Tom McDonald at full-forward for their match against Adelaide in Alice Springs despite the swingman hurting his foot at training on Thursday.

Prolific midfielder Matt Crouch returns for the Crows, having missed last week’s game with hamstring soreness.

Gold Coast and Port Adelaide have the bye after playing in Shanghai last week.

Convicted archbishop asks: ‘pray for me’

Convicted Archbishop Philip Wilson has asked Catholics to “pray for me”.Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson has asked the Catholic faithful to “pray for me” in a letter distributed after his conviction for covering up child sexual abuse during the 1970s.
老域名出售

The letter was distributed across the Archdiocese of Adelaide, including to parents of students in Catholic schools, drawing criticism from some.

It confirmed his intention to stand aside from his role on Friday after putting in place the “necessary administrative arrangements” to ensure the affairs of the archdiocese are managed responsibly.

“I know we are a united community of believers, a people of hope, and we will continue to be the disciples of Jesus,” the 67-year-old wrote.

“We have achieved great things in all facets of the life of the archdiocese, including in our parishes, schools, social services, health and in aged care.”

Wilson said he wanted to assure the Catholic faithful of his “continued prayers and best wishes”.

“Please continue to pray for me,” he wrote.

Some people took to social media to criticise the letter, particularly its failing to mention the victims of abuse.

On Tuesday, Wilson was found guilty at Newcastle Local Court of failing to report to police the repeated abuse of two altar boys by pedophile priest James Fletcher in the NSW Hunter region.

He is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be charged with concealing child sexual abuse and faces a maximum two years’ jail.

In a statement issued by the Catholic Church on Wednesday, Wilson said it was appropriate to stand down in light of Magistrate Robert Stone’s findings.

“If at any point in time it becomes necessary or appropriate for me to take more formal steps, including by resigning as Archbishop, then I will do so,” he said.

He is still considering Mr Stone’s reasons alongside his legal advisors.

“In the meantime, while the remainder of the legal process runs its course, I want to assure the Catholic faithful in the Archdiocese of my continued prayers and best wishes and assure everyone that the affairs of the Archdiocese will be appropriately managed in my absence,” the clergyman said.

Up Front with Tony Butterfield

FLASHBACK: Former Canberra Raiders enforcer John Lomax leaves the ACT Police Watch House in 2015 after being charged with blackmail. The charge was later dropped, and he successfully sued for malicious prosecution.In a rather significant“where are they now?” story, did anyone notice the news last week about formerCanberra Raiders enforcer John Lomax?
老域名出售

He’s just closed a chapter of his life that shouldn’t have happened after a very public arrest in July 2015, when he was charged with blackmail.The charges were dropped months later, and last week he settled with police after suing them for malicious prosecution. Quite a story.

I played against John and his assassin sidekicks, Quentin Pongia and Ruben Wiki, back in the days when front-rowers got up close and personal.

Johnny went on to win premierships with Canberra and captained the Kiwis. Old-school to his core, he ran hard, tackled hard and never gave up. Traits I recognised later playing with one of his talented brothers, David, for a couple of seasons under Mal Reilly in the 1990s.

From honest working stock, their dad was a shunter, who lost his legs in an industrial accident when they were kids. He was a union man and it was the union thatstepped in to support the family.

Read more: The latestrugby league and the NRL headlines

Naturally this left an impression on the Lomax kids. All went on to work in welfare roles, with one brother a religious minister, a sister in public health and Johnny in the trade union movement as an organiser for the CFMEU in the ACT.

In the event, Johnny was arrested and charged for what appeared to most to be doing his job. The charge was that he made a“demand with menace”.Police alleged he had forced a Canberra painting company to sign a union enterprise bargaining agreement, causing a financial loss.

In terms of timing, charges were laid with the Royal Commission into unions in full swing, ensuring Johnny suffered the ignominy of front-page coverage in not just his home town. The usual suspects dug up photos from his playing days and plastered them with headlines about blackmail and the like.

In a twist lost on few, his treatment then differs markedly to the current inquiry into the banks, where far worse revelations scandalise the industry, with not so much as a parking ticket in sight.

Out of interest, I understand a specific of Johnny’s supposed crime was that he phoned the company and asked that they pay the industry hourly rate. No standing over anyone, no threats, just a few phone calls and a claim for better pay for workers.

When the matter came to court, the charge was dropped. Johnny sued the police and last week there was a confidential settlement, in his favour.

My interest in this is not altogether unbiased. During my time as head of the Rugby League Players Association, particularly when we took steps to register the RLPA as a trade union in 2003, there was a marked increase in the media attacks on the organisation and me personally.

In spite of vested criticism, we achieved many ground-breaking benefits, including the formal standing of an emerging player body.

To ensure these arrangements were properly enforced for the long term, we insisted they be put in a registered agreement –nothing criminal about that, then.

But back to Lomax. With what’s since happened, it’s inescapable to conclude that in such a politically charged climate Johnny was especially targeted by sections of the media because of his profile in rugby league.Sad.

I wish Johnny well in this vindication. He’s nothing less than a gentlemen who deserved better.

* THEbiff is back.

Melbourne’syoung Turk Curtis Scott couldn’t cop another second of trash talk from Dylan Walker last week, lost his cool and jobbed him. Massively out of line, he coppeda two-week punishment. It did, however, seem for some to contradict the six-week, injury-enforced holiday for Dylan. But they’re the current rules.

Wrong? Possibly, but Walker must accept some blame.

Even in “big boys’ rules”, it’s ever wrong to throw the first punch. What’s equally accepted is incessant smack talk and shirt-fronting escalates any situation and is playing with fire.

Read more: Can Kalyn Ponga become the youngest Dally M medallist?

Another “eye for an eye” fan dilemma from the Brisbane/Roosters encounterinvolved Dylan Napa’s head clash withex-Knights goerKorbin Sims.

Korbsfinished up with a broken jaw and a diet of pain and smoothies, while the perpetrator got a 10-minute break. Again, on its face, it makes little sense.

Judging each case on its merits, I think it’s fair to say this was accidental. Nobody deliberately tackles with their head. Do they? I know it’s not good for your head or neck.

On this occasion the big palooka, at speed, clumsily caught out by Korbin’s impressive footwork, over-commits and, off-balance on the wrong shoulder, aimlessly follows through (like a raging bull). These accumulating miscalculations could so easily have seen Napa himself laying on the ground snoring.

Tough game. Two bulls. Teach better technique.

I hope Korbs has a speedy return to the field.

* FORthe Knights, last week was alost opportunity against a Titans outfit whokept on coming. In the end, silly errors and a lucky kick deflection werethe difference.

Another disappointment, another brick in the wall for the young squad who shone through with commitment and positive attitude for the most part.

Getting a chance to do it all again on Sunday, they’ll be taking on a Sharks team packed with plenty of good players. On form, Cronullashould get up in a close one.

Newcastle’s forwards need to dominate their opponents and lay a foundation for the speed section.

This is a great weekend at home to stand up(and for brain-cancer research,www.markhughesfoundation老域名出售.au). Knights by two.

Five federal by-elections set for July 28

An historic ‘Super Saturday’ of federal by-elections is set to be held on July 28, but Labor is concerned this will leave voters in five seats without MPs for 79 days.
老域名出售

The seats of Braddon, Fremantle, Longman and Mayo are vacant because their MPs were found to be dual citizens and resigned from parliament, while the member for Perth resigned for family reasons.

Speaker Tony Smith told parliament on Thursday he would issue writs for by-elections on July 28, based on advice from the n Electoral Commission.

AEC commissioner Tom Rogers said the “optimal” July 28 date was based on two key factors – avoiding school holidays and allowing potential candidates to comply with new regulations under which they would voluntarily publicly declare they are not dual citizens.

However, he admitted the AEC had the ability to run elections – including a full federal election – on whatever date the government decided.

“The n Electoral Commission stands ready to conduct those events in accordance with your instructions on any legislatively appropriate date,” he said in his advice to the Speaker.

Labor pointed out it would leave the five seats, four of which were held by the opposition, without members for 79 days, and land on the day of its national conference.

The new members won’t be able to take up their seats until August 13 at the earliest.

“This deliberate delay is an insult to these communities who will be unrepresented for nearly three months,” Labor deputy leader Tanya Plibersek said.

“It would also appear this has been deliberately designed to disadvantage the Labor Party, given our national conference is scheduled for that weekend.”

Labor Party national president Mark Butler said the announcement stunk of interference by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull with the electoral commission.

“Our national conference is an important part of our policy process – and the fact the Liberal Party has deliberately sought to disrupt our democratic processes shows how desperate and pathetic they are,” Mr Butler said in a statement.

Discussions are underway into deferring the conference until next year.

When former Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce resigned last year over his dual citizenship a by-election was called the same day for the soonest possible date.

The government is awaiting the Governor-General to sign off on a new regulation, which already has bipartisan support, to ensure all candidates must publicly declare they are not dual citizens or have any other bars under the constitution.

The vice-regal sign-off is expected on May 29, with the regulations expected to take two weeks for the AEC to implement.

Labor won’t face a coalition candidate in Perth or Fremantle and is expected to hold the seats comfortably.

However the coalition has its sights set on the Labor seats of Longman and Braddon and the Centre Alliance-held seat of Mayo.

The vacancies aren’t expected to impact significantly on parliament as it heads into the long winter break after June 28.

Record numbers set to see Sydney light up

The Liminal Hour, a giant puppet, will entice visitors at Friday’s Vivid launch at the Opera HouseMore than two million people are expected to visit Vivid Sydney’s 10th “birthday bash”, which is being touted as the biggest and best ever.
老域名出售

The annual light and music festival kicks off on Friday with the unveiling of lights on the Sydney Opera House just after sunset.

It runs until June 16, with light installations, music and workshops across multiple venues.

NSW Tourism Minister Adam Marshall expects to break last year’s record crowd of more than 2.3 million people, who spent an estimated $143 million over the 23-day event.

“This year, if the weather is kind, then we anticipate seeing even more than that,” Mr Marshall told reporters on Thursday.

“It will be our biggest, our best, our brightest Vivid yet with lots of new inclusions this year, (and) we want to make it a huge birthday bash”.

“(People) can come and enjoy the sites, spectacular music and creative ideas sessions”.

Luna Park, Government House, and Customs House will be lit up, with light installations also at Taronga Zoo, Barangaroo, Chatswood, and the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Visitors are urged to catch public transport, with an extra 6000 train, ferry, bus and light rail services being rolled out.

But authorities warn daily road closures from 3pm will impact some services.

“We really think you should leave your car at home and get public transport,” Marg Prendergast from Transport NSW told reporters.

The festival will also be overseen by an additional 2000 plain and uniformed police, water police, sniffer dogs, and mounted patrol.

“Our main priority is the safety of the community and there will be a significant amount of extra police here across all the Vivid sites,” assistant commissioner Mark Walton said.